Statement of core purpose
AgResearch’s purpose is to enhance the value, productivity and profitability of New Zealand’s pastoral, agri-food and agri-technology sector value chains to contribute to economic growth and beneficial environmental and social outcomes for New Zealand.
AgResearch will fulfil its purpose through the provision of research and transfer of technology and knowledge in partnership with key stakeholders, including industry, government and Māori, to:
- increase the value of these industry sectors to the New Zealand economy through the development of high-value pastoral-based products and production systems that meet current and future global market needs
- position New Zealand as a global leader in the development of environmentally sustainable, safe and ethical pastoral production systems and products
- ensure that New Zealand’s pastoral sector is able to protect, maintain and grow its global market access
- increase the capacity of rural communities and enterprises to adapt to changing farming conditions in ways that balance economic, environment, social and cultural imperatives.
Scope of Operation
To achieve these outcomes, AgResearch is the lead CRI in the following areas:
- pasture-based animal production systems
- new pasture plant varieties
- agriculture-derived greenhouse gas mitigation and pastoral climate change adaptation
- agri-food and bio-based products and agri-technologies
- integrated social and biophysical research to support pastoral sector development.
AgResearch will work with other research providers and end-users to contribute to the development of the following areas:
- biosecurity, land, soil and freshwater management
- climate change adaptation and mitigation
- food and beverage sector (including foods for human nutrition and health, food technologies and food safety).
- operate in accordance with a Statement of Corporate Intent and business plan that describes how AgResearch will deliver against this Statement of Core Purpose, and describes what the shareholders will receive for their investment
- meet its obligations as a Crown Company and remain financially viable, delivering an appropriate rate of return on equity
- develop strong, long-term partnerships with key stakeholders, including industry, government and Māori, and work with them to set research priorities that are well linked to the needs and potential of its end-users
- maintain a balance of research that both provides for the near-term requirements of its sectors and demonstrates vision for their longer-term benefit
- transfer technology and knowledge from domestic and international sources to key New Zealand stakeholders, including industry, government and Māori
- develop collaborative relationships with other CRIs, universities and other research institutions (within New Zealand and internationally) to form the best teams to deliver its core purpose
- provide advice on matters of its expertise to the Crown
- represent New Zealand’s interests on behalf of the Crown through contribution to science diplomacy, international scientific issues and/or bodies as required
- seek advice from scientific and user advisory panels to help ensure the quality and relevance of its research
- establish policies, practices and culture that optimise talent recruitment and retention
- enable the innovation potential of Māori knowledge, resources and people
- maintain its databases, collections and infrastructure and manage the scientific and research data it generates in a sustainable manner providing appropriate access and maximising the reusability of data sets
- seek shareholder consent for significant activity beyond its scope of operation.
This statement provides key guidance to the AgResearch Board for developing its Statement of Corporate Intent, which sets out AgResearch’s strategy for delivering against its core purpose. AgResearch’s performance will be monitored against the outcomes and operating principles in this statement.