BSc Earth Sciences University of Waikato 1994
MSc (Hons) Earth Sciences University of Waikato 1996
PhD Soil Science Massey University 2005
- Land treatment of dairy effluents
- Soil and landscape risk of land applying dairy effluent
- Nutrient supply and characteristics of dairy effluents
- Soil water management,
- Soil physical quality and forage response
- Soil compaction and pugging
- Nutrient loss mitigation under intensive dairy farming.
- New Zealand Society of Soil Science (Vice President)
- New Zealand Grassland Association
- New Zealand Associataion of Resource Managers
- New Zealand Land Treatment Collective
2002 – Awarded the T.W Walker prize for the best oral presentation by a student at a NZSSS conference.
2004 – Awarded prize for best oral presentation for the symposium on â€˜soil management and water qualityâ€™ at the joint NZSSS/ASSSI conference in Sydney
- 2006 â€“ Maurice Fields award by the NZSSS for the outstanding PhD theses of 2005
- 2010 â€“ Best overall presentation award at the 2010 NZ Land Treatment Collective conference.
Houlbrooke, DJ, Paton, RP; Littlejohn, RP Morton, JD. (2011)Land-use intensification in New Zealand: effects on soil properties and pasture production. Journal of Agricultural Science. 149, 337-349.
Laurenson S, Houlbrooke DJ. (2014) Nutrient and microbial loss in relation to timing of rainfall following surface application of dairy farm manure slurries to pasture. Soil Research. 52: 513-520
Houlbrooke, D.J.; Horne, D.J.; Hedley, M.J.; Snow, V.O.; Hanly, J.A. (2008) Land application of farm dairy effluent to a mole and pipe drained soil: implications for nutrient enrichment of winter-spring drainage Australian Journal of Soil Research 48:45-52.