- PhD (materials science and engineering), University of New South Wales, Australia
MEng (chemical and process engineering), University of Canterbury, New Zealand
BSc(hons) (chemistry) University of Canterbury, New Zealand
Research interests & activities
- Textile chemistry, from fundamental research to commercialisation, for enhanced performance/ reduced environmental impact for carpets, apparel, nonwovens and re-constituted keratin. Dyeing, ultrasound, nano, insect-resist, filtration, sol-gel…
- Quantifying and enhancing the contribution of wool textiles to built environments
- Clients include textile companies, chemical companies, Wool Research Inc., Wools of NZ, British Carpet Foundation, Fahrenheit 212, Locus Research, AWI, NZ Wool Board, Boeing, GL Bowron, NZ Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, NZ Govnt., NZ Bioresource Processing Alliance, Chinese Ministry of Education, European Commission, UK Department of Trade and Industry
- Details of presentations and publications may be found at http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1664-9667
- Society of Dyers ＆ Colorists (SDC)
2006, Japanese Govt. award for the NZ-Japan Textile Research Cooperative Programme
1991, New Zealand-Germany Scientific and Technological Co-operation award
McNeil SJ, Sunderland MR (2016). The nanocidal and antifeedant activities of titanium dioxide desiccant towards wool-digesting Tineola bisselliella moth larvae. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 18(3):843-852.
McNeil SJ, Tapp L (2016). The design and initial evaluation of visual cues in carpets to assist walking. Journal of the Textile Institute, 107(3):376-385.
McNeil SJ, Zaitseva LI (2015). The development of wool-based passive filters to improve indoor air quality. Key Engineering Materials, 671:219-224.
McNeil SJ, Hu Y, Zaitseva LI (2015). A study of the ability of modified dyeing, and post-dyeing processes to increase the crystallinity of dyestuffs and the lightfastness of wool textiles. Key Engineering Materials, 671:103-108.
Dong An J, Patterson DA, McNeil SJ, Hossain M (2014). Immobilization of lipase on woolen fabrics. Biotechnology Progress, 30(4):806-817.
McNeil SJ, McCall RA (2011). Ultrasound for wool dyeing and finishing. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 18(1):401-406.
McNeil SJ, Sunderland MR, Zaitseva LI (2007). Closed-loop wool carpet recycling. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 51(1):220-224.
McCall RA, McNeil SJ (2007). Comparison of the energy, time and water usage required for maintaining carpets and hard floors. Indoor and Built Environment, 16(5):482-486.
Johnson NAG, Wood EJ, Ingham PE, McNeil SJ (2003). Wool as a technical fibre. Journal of the Textile Institute, 93(4):26-41.
McNeil SJ (2001). Heavy metal removal using wool filters. Asian Textile Journal, 10:88-90.