GenomNZ has conducted parentage testing on several species of finfish and shellfish in collaboration with NIWA and other New Zealand research institutions. Working with the domestic aquaculture industry has also led to interest from overseas markets, including Iceland and Australia.
We are able to process a variety of aquaculture sample types.
In addition to collaborative work, GenomNZ also offers commercial DNA parentage testing to the wider aquaculture industry:
- Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua)
- Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
- Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
- Other finfish and shellfish species.
Potential applications of DNA technology in the aquaculture industry include:
- Stock strain identification
- Estimation of genetic variation
- Screening for markers for production traits
- Individual identification
- Reseeding programmes, genetic enhancement, breeding programmes
Private Bag 50034